Dual Immersion Program (English and Spanish)

What is a dual immersion program?

Dual immersion and bilingual education both refer to teaching academic content in two different languages with the goal of students becoming literate in both. Some dual immersion and bilingual programs teach equally in two languages while others begin equally and gradually switch to mostly English. Our program is based on a 90/10 model, in which 90% of the instruction is delivered in Spanish and the other 10% is delivered in English. The program is designed to teach children a second language in a natural way through subject content instruction and everyday classroom conversation. (See Table at the bottom of the page)


Students in the dual immersion program are presented with the social and cognitive benefits of bilingualism. They gain a second language, a broader vocabulary, and multiple views of the world (Cazabon, Lambert, & Heise-Baigorria, 2002). In order to acquire these benefits, the program sets out to accomplish the following goals:

  • Prepare students to perform at or above grade level in both languages.

  • Develop high level of proficiency in listening, speaking, reading, and writing in both English and Spanish.

  • Develop positive attitudes toward those who speak the other language and toward their culture.

  • Promote self-esteem and leadership skills.


Multiple benefits exist for acquiring a second language during a student’s primary years. Some of the benefits include:

  • Children have the ability to learn and excel in the pronunciation of a foreign language (Krashen, et al., 1982).

  • Participation in early foreign language shows positive results in areas of standardized testing (Armstrong & Rogers, 1997).

  • Children who had studied a foreign language show greater cognitive development (Hakuta, 1990).

  • Foreign language study has been shown to increase listening skills, memory, and a greater understanding of one’s own language (Lapkin, et al., 1990).

  • Children studying foreign language have an improved self concept and sense of achievement in school (Caine & Caine, 1997).

  • Children develop a sense of cultural pluralism, openness and appreciation of other cultures (Met, 1995).

Grade Level

Spanish Instruction

English Instruction




First Grade



Second Grade



Third Grade



Fourth Grade



Fifth Grade